Tyler, the Creator will return to Australia for the first time after controversial ban following protest by a feminist group. The case between American rapper and Australian feminist group, Collective Shout is one of wins and losses. Yet, one cannot outrightly name a winner but we can definitely say, lessons have been learned.
Tyler, the Creator has often come under fire for his very violent lyrics towards women and it’s often been his undoing over the years. Previously being banned from entering the UK by Theresa May, after also citing misogynistic lyrics, the ban was lifted earlier this year. Now, his 2015 controversial ban prompted by Collective Shout seems to have also been lifted by the Australian government.
Back in 2015, Tyler was scheduled to perform at locations in Brisbane and Sydney as part of his Chery Bomb World Tour but Collective Shout campaigned against it happening. The group began a petition to the Australian government to deny the American rapper entry. They petitioned the immigration minister, Peter Dutton to reject T‘s visa because of his misogynistic lyrics which include references to rape and violence against women.
Also, his performance at the Rapture festival in Auckland, New Zealand in 2014 was cancelled and 2013 footage of him ranting at Collective Shout activist Talitha Stone was said to be the cause. Tyler tweeted before the 2015 ban was decided;
“T IS NOW BANNED FROM AUSTRALIA, YOU WON @CoralieAlison IM HAPPY FOR YOU <3″
When announcing it to his fans, Tyler said he’d “much rather come to Australia when it isn’t surrounded in controversy”.
Fast forward to 2019, Tyler is scheduled to perform at the Brisbane Showgrounds on Dec. 28 as part of the leading line up for Wildlands.